Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Favre : Montana :: Rodgers : Young



After his performance in the Cowboys game this season, my friend Mark and I were talking about how Aaron Rodgers could become a great starting quarterback in the NFL. Mark said that Brett Favre was Joe Montana and that Aaron Rodgers will become Steve Young. I could not agree more. He showed a great sense of timing, was accurate, and was able to make a good amount of plays with his feet. He went 18-26 (69.2%), for 201 yards, and 1 td. That gave him a 104.8 passer rating for the day. He also contributed 30 yards on the ground on 5 attempts, including a couple of first downs.

That game Favre went 5 for 14, for 56 yards, and 2 interceptions...an 8.9 passer rating. There is no doubt in my mind that if Favre would have stayed in the game, we would have gotten blown out.

Sure, the Cowboys prepared for Favre and did a great job on defense while he was in the game, but he also forced throws into double and triple coverage, when replays showed 1, 2, or 3 receivers wide open. That was typical Favre -
sometimes it worked, sometimes it cost us games. But Rodgers hit those open receivers and helped bring the Pack within 10 before halftime.

I have confidence in Rodgers. McCarthy has said that Rodgers is ready to play now.

"You know, it's funny how things work out," Aaron Rodgers said in August." I was such a huge Joe Montana fan growing up. And when Joe left for the Chiefs and Steve (Young) took over, I hate to say it, but I really wasn't a 49ers fan anymore. But since I've been in the league, I've become a big Steve Young fan. I always respected his talents, but now that I can really understand what he had to go through as a player and a person."


A-Rod will probably be good for the Packers. They are the youngest team in the NFL and will now be lead by a young QB. If you think Rodgers doesn't have the fire or a love for the game, you're mistaken. I have been one of Favre's biggest fans; I even wished that he would come back, even after his 29 interception season. My dad and I used to watch Favre play when I was a little kid in India, cheeseheads on at 4 am. He is one of, if not the greatest quarterback to have ever played the game of football.

The Packers are still in good hands. A-Rod has had 4 years to learn the NFL game behind Favre. Aaron Rodgers:
"[a] Composed, confident player...continues to grow as a leader, particularly leading the charge in the Packers' offseason program...Equipped with a comprehensive understanding of the team's offense and a stronger arm than he has been given credit for.1" Dark days are not coming to Green Bay, Wisconsin.

1 Packers.com

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you think that Rogers will turn into anything like steve young, you are on crack... He will be hurt 1/2 way into the season...

Adam Thornton said...

Young is left handed. What's up with the pic?

Anonymous said...

the pic was just flipped horizontally

scotteb said...

Please don't call Rodgers "A-Rod". The Packers don't need the nickname of a guy who can't get it done in the playoffs.

Anonymous said...

The picture is not flipped. Look at his numbers.

Anonymous said...

Never mind. I thought Adam said Rodgers. My bad. If you look at Young's nameplate you can see the G on the left hand side.