Monday, March 31, 2008

You Say Stephen, I Say Stephen



The stage was set. 16.8 seconds remained on the clock. Davidson was down by 2. Stephen Curry (named Most Outstanding Player of the Midwest Regional after scoring 33 points against Wisconsin and 25 against Kansas) would take the game winning shot.

But he didn't. Instead he passed the ball to Jason Richards who had to take the last shot from a mile away, missing the rim by about a foot. I don't have a problem with the shot selection. I do have a problem with the execution. ''They had a lot of bodies and a lot of athletic guys who could chase me,'' Curry said. ''They did make me work hard, and I had good looks at the end, but they weren't falling like they did all tournament. We can't hang our heads. We had opportunities. We just didn't execute.'' Apparently, Curry did too.

I don't understand why Curry took the inbounds pass. Davidson's offense is a funny thing - not a lot of movement, some post play, but generally it relies on Stephen Curry getting open on screens.

''Kansas had four guards out there and they just switched. It kind of defeated the purpose of the play,'' he said. ''I gave them a pump fake to try to get a look, but I was off-balance when he fell down. So I saw Jay open at the top of the key, so I swung it to him.''

Good coaching change by Self. However, having Curry handle the ball does not really make much sense. In any case, Curry wasn't able to get a good look at the basket. He could have tried jumping into the defender and forcing a foul? Would the refs have called it though? It'd be likely. Curry was graced by the all-star rule, which allowed him to, among other things, travel at his leisure. He trusted his teammmates, which you have to respect.

Fear not Davidson/Curry fans! He'll be back next year.

After "I'm definitely coming back next year," the sophomore said in his team's locker room. "I don't think I'm ready for [the NBA]."

It gets better too. Curry said he will likely play PG next season filling the void left by Richards. That will allow Curry to improve upon his drives, his inside game, as well as his ball handling skills, all of which will make him much improved and complete basketball player - as well as a better NBA prospect. Maybe he'll grow another 4 inches before next season.


This is the first time that four #1 seeds have made it to the Final Four. Memphis looks like a completely different team than they did in the regular season. They're the most athletic team still playing and will certainly give UCLA (the media's lovechild) a run for their money. Kansas...

I also don't really understand what the big deal is that Roy's Boys have to play the Jayhawks.

_______________________________________________________

Other Sports Thoughts:

  1. I hate baseball
  2. I hate how baseball highlights take over SportsCenter
  3. I hate how baseball highlights are all the same
  4. The Packers will kickoff the 2008-2009 NFL season against the Vikings September 8 at 7:00pm. Good chance we'll start off 1-0. It'll be the first chance to see Aaron Rodgers as the starting QB for Green Bay. Kinda weird.
  5. 1-0: Floyd Mayweather's WWE record. He not only broke Big Show's nose a couple of weeks ago, but he knocked out the 7', 440 lbs behemoth with his right, brassknuckled fist...after beating him with a metal chair.
  6. Floyd Mayweather should stick to boxing or learn MMA.

No comments: